Sunday, August 03, 2008

Family and Domestication

So I'm sitting here at work, with no one in the gallery, doing nothing--as you can tell--and I have two things running through my mind:

1. I can't wait for mine and Joe's parents to get here. Joe's parents arrive on Saturday and mine arrive the following Friday, followed by a visit from one of Joe's - and mine as well - friends. It's going to be a busy month, but I'm ready for a slice of home. I'm a family girl, and I've been away for quite a while. I talk to my mom rather frequently and I'm looking forward to actually seeing her. We're both pretty silly, and we tend to have a good time together (provided we're not being stubborn and arguing over something stupid). I think I'm mostly just excited to show them that their daughter is doing well, living happily in a really great place.

2. I've turned into a regular do-it-yourself, Betty Crocker. Joe and I canned pickles last week, have a large jar of strawberry cordial brewing in the basement, yesterday we made clam strips and mint brownies (which are a bit closer to fudge than a brownie) and now I'm about to take on a blueberry-raspberry pie. What is this? Does living on my own in a house turn me into Dotty Domestic? It's like a switch flipped and I'm all of a sudden the domestic girl from some old poster with a tray of muffins balanced in my oven-mit covered hands. I'm 21!?! What is this?

OK OK...It's probably more likely that I simply enjoy cooking and finally have time to do so instead of sitting down to some art history homework or something, but it's different.

No comments: