Thursday, October 15, 2009

Caramel Apple Deliciousness!

Monday night I decided to get going on a long list of apple recipes I wanted to try with our freshly picked apples (all 15 or so pounds of them!). I decided not to dance around with apple crisp or anything simple like that and dive right in with a Caramel Apple Cheesecake.

Did I mention I love cheesecake?

It's been so long since I've had any and I can't say I've ever attempted to bake my own (except one of those no-bake box versions which come out tasting more like pudding than actual cheesecake). The recipe I was using wasn't exactly the best, but apart from a few mishaps -like buying the wrong size can of evaporated milk because the recipe just said "1 can" instead of specifying small and not large; or like saying I should cook the cheesecake for 40 minutes but not supplying me with a method of being sure it was cooked through since my oven is probably not the same as Miss Suzy Homemakers- the thing turned out pretty darn good.

Now when I say "good" I mean it tasted fantastic. Absolutely fabulous. What did not turn out as, however, is pretty. I snapped a few pictures with the intent of proudly displaying them, but Joe and I decided that it looked a bit more like a lumpy fruit cake than a delicious cheesecake, so I decided to pass on the home photos and show you this:



What it could/should have looked like. At least this pictures gives you some idea of how yummy it tastes instead of leaving you wondering if its edible (and in case you're wondering, the picture came from here, which is not where I got the recipe, but maybe this one is easier to follow.)

As if that wasn't enough to quench my thirst for questionably difficult baking, Joe has decided to make his own hard apple cider this fall. Yes...I know what you're thinking. Can he really do that without a giant press and all sorts of chemicals and such? Well wouldn't you know that with the abundant resources the internet provides, Joe has found a feasible recipe and ordered the necessary yeast. Yikes! This should be interesting. I suppose it helps that we usually make a good cooking team (we did make some really delicious egg rolls together the other night), but I'm a bit nervous about this one. Maybe I shouldn't have bought him that home brewing kit after all??

No comments: