Sunday, May 18, 2008

Hungry Hungry Beavers

I'm not in a babbling mood today, but I wanted to give a bit of background for the pictures I'm posting. Joe and I went on one of the many carriage trails that wander through Acadia National Park. Between 1913 and 1940, John D Rockefeller Jr had over 45 miles of carriage roads constructed. The man wanted to ride his carriage around his land and decided to create a series of roads to allow for his "joy riding." Now the trails exist for bikers and hikers and wind around some pretty amazing landscapes. I came across the work of some determined beavers as well as what is called Witch Hole Pond. I haven't been able to find any actual history about this bizarre landmark, but Joe proposed that the beavers created the two level dam existing on the outskirts and managed to flood the area, creating a pond, and killing the existing trees, leaving the erie remains that we found. A pretty astonish sight...

























No comments: