Saturday, May 10, 2008

New Beginnings in New Places

I have officially graduated and moved away from home...far away from home. I am now sitting in my armchair in front of a fire, with a slightly cold nose, in a small house on a hill, in the small little island town of Bar Harbor, Maine. I have no job and no plans. And although I'm slightly nervous about the first of those two facts, I am extremely content with the second. I moved out here with my boyfriend, who got a job at the local research lab: Jackson Laboratory. I had wanted some time off, and a year or two on an island in Maine sounded like a fantastic way to take some time off.

So here I am. Our house is slowly beginning to look like that of a real person, and I've managed to drop off my resume at a number of businesses and have already gotten a response back from one of the local galleries that could use some help. Things seem to be falling into place. Apart from some snags with broken washing machines and a bad cable connection, things seem to be going pretty well. I have to go take care of a few odds and ends, but I'll leave you with a few pictures of the house (the clean rooms anyway) and the water line near a lighthouse we visited on the other side of the island this afternoon. It was a little gloomy out, but the scenery is still gorgeous. Enjoy!
















2 comments:

Michael said...

Ah! I'm so jealous of your house! You're view is amazing, and actually looks a lot like where I live. I love that we're on both coasts and that might make a good starting point for a collaboration. Doing comparative projects like: find a lighthouse and draw it...make a sculpture out of things found on the beach...send a really tacky postcard...
I'd love to do more 3-D work this summer and think that our obsession with repetition would mesh well.

Maybe we pick a material to work with for a week or two and then blog our results? Like week one: stone... week two: leaves... week three: water.

Or it could be like call and response- I make something, you respond to it by making something else, to which I make something in response to that...etc etc

Miss you but so glad we're doing this again!! Feels like old times. :)

nC said...

:O!! no sabia de esto michelle.. estoy muy contenta por ti