Monday, May 26, 2008

Martha's Bulbs

This has been a busy weekend. Joe's mom came into town Friday night, and our first activity with her was to take a walk through the annual bulb tour at none other than Ms Martha Stewart's estate. I wasn't aware that the estate was hers, but half way through her winding, pine needle-padded paths, I was enlightened. The woman owns some gorgeous property and fills it with some gorgeous flowers! The tour took us somewhere around an hour, stopping frequently for pictures. We learned that each year the bulbs are re-planted. At the end of the tour day (this year it was extended to two Saturdays because of the turn out from previous years) the workers are allowed to clip what they like and then the rest are replanted in other areas of the estate to test which bulbs will come back the following year -- and the sad truth is that the majority of them don't. The property was covered with beautiful flowers that will all need to be replaced the following year. After looking at some of these pictures, I think you'll get why I'm so sad over this...





















Here's some images of Ms Stewart's "cottage." The first one is of the main house, the second the guest house, and the third a shot of her view of the water. The last image here is of a little frog she's got in one of her many ponds. It's a commonality that her and I share. I have a similar "spitting" frog in my pond back at my parents' house in Lapeer. I think this could be the foundation for a fantastic friendship :)







No comments: