Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Feelings of Fall

This morning I had a particularly difficult time getting into work mode and found myself dozing off at my desk. I decided to sneak out of the office for a walk down the street to get some coffee. Everything about this morning reminds me of the fall that is all to familiar, but often times elusive.

The smell of smoke and fire as restaurants start up their grills for the day. Mind you this smell is normally attributed to campfires on a cool morning at the campground, but if I close my eyes, I can almost pretend I just crawled out of the steamy tent to see the beginnings of a fire that will soon cook breakfast. Oh wait...my family didn't do that. We had a portable grill so I could have my bacon :) But the fire was still there, and thus, the smell.

The smell and feel of the cool air mixed with damp earth. I actually noticed for the first time a significant number of leaves gather on the sidewalk, although most of the trees are still fighting to keep their green color.

The familiar feel of a warm drink in my cold hands as I walk briskly down the sidewalk, wrapped up tightly in my fleece. This used to be me rushing to catch a bus to north campus with a mug of coffee or tea. I miss those days, but I'm enjoying the feeling of meandering and not worrying about catching the 7:28 bus in order to make my 8:00 class. Now I can lazily stroll to get some coffee and lazily stroll back to the office. My job may not satisfy my needs as an artist, but it does allow me a schedule that I rather enjoy.

Joe and I are going to try to spend the evening tonight down at our clamming spot, playing around in the water for one last time before winter. We're also going to try to squeeze in a biking trip on Saturday to catch a glimpse of some of the foliage in the park. I'm hoping we can get pumpkins in the next couple of weeks as well since I'll soon be heading off to Colombia and won't return with enough time to get one before Halloween hits.

Hopefully I'll have some pictures to put up in the next couple of days. I've been a bit detached from my camera lately.

No comments: